Completing Sentences, Rules and Structures


Rule -1: Lest ------ should/might: 
Lest এর মানে- নচেত, নতুবা, পাছে, অন্যথায়, পাছে ভয় হয় ইত্যাদি ইহা   Negative অর্থ প্রদান করে  Examples: Walk fast lest you should miss the train.  The old man walks slowly lest he should fall down.  They run hurriedly lest they should miss the bus.
Rule - 2: Relative pronouns:
Who, which, what, that, whose, whom etc. Relative pronoun দ্বারা কোন Incomplete sentence কে complete করতে হলে গুলোর আগের Antecedent (যার পরিবর্তে বসে ) অনুযায়ী verb এর রূপ বসিয়ে  sentence টি complete করতে হয়ঃ
Examples:  It is I  who am to blame.  It is he who is your teacher.
Rule - 3: Past perfect Tense: ‘Before’    ‘after’ :
Past Perfect Tense  Before এর আগে( আগের আগে)  After   এর পরে  (পরের পরে)  বসে  Examples: The doctor had died before the patient came.  The patient died after the doctor had come.
Rule – 4: No sooner had ---- than/ Scarcely had --- when/ Hardly had ---- when/before:  (যেতেনা যেতে/ খেতে --- না  খেতে/  পোঁছাতে --- না পোঁছাতে )
কোন বাক্য No sooner had ---- than/ Scarcely had ------- when/ Hardly  had ---- when/before প্রভৃতি  বসলে  বাকি অংশে Past Indefinite Tense বসে
Examples: No sooner had I reached the station than the train started. Scarcely had I reached home when it started rain. Hardly Had I reached the station when the bus left.
Rule- 5: So that/ In order that/ that ( যেন , যার ফলে,  যাতে করে)  :
Structure: Sub + ---- So that + Sub + can/ could/ may /might+ Verb ----. Example: He worked hard so that he could prosper in life. They came here in order that they could enjoy the natural beauty.

Rule-6: So ---- that (এতই ---- যে):
Negative Sentence  এর তীব্রতা বোঝাতে So ---- that  ব্যবহার করা হয় নিচের sentence  follow কর
Examples: The load is  so heavy that we cannot lift it.  He is so dishonest that he can’t do any good job.
Rule -7. It is high time: কোন কাজ করার সময় ইতিমধ্যেই পার হয়ে গেছে সুতরাং আর দেরি করা ঠিক নয় এই মুহূর্তে কাজটি শুরু করা উচিত বোঝাতে ব্যাবহার করা হয় নিম্নের কাঠামোটি  লক্ষ্য কর:
Structure: It is high time + Sub + Past  Tense.
Examples: It is high time we left the place.
It is high time we took necessary steps to control price-hike.
 It is high time you changed your reading habits.
Rule - 8. The time  --- When :
Is the time when / is the day when/ is the year when ইত্যাদি  যুক্ত incomplete Sentence  কে   Complete  করতে when  এর পর subject  বসিয়ে  verb  এর present form ব্যবহার করতে হয় কিন্তু অতীতে ঘটে যাওয়া কোন ঘটনা  বা ঐতিহাসিক ঘটনা হলে verb  এর past form হবে  
 Examples: 1971  is the year when we achieved independent. 11 pm is the time when Farjana goes to bed.  Friday is the day when we go to the village market.
Rule - 9. The place ---- where:
প্রদত্ত Incomplete Sentence স্থান  নির্দেশ  করলে   Incomplete  Sentence  এর শেষে  Where + Sub + verb + ---  হয় Examples:  Eklashpur is a place where Bulbul was born.  Railway station is the place where trains stop.
Rule - 10. Let alone:
কোন কিছু চিন্তা করা যায় না, ভাবা যায় না, কিংবা দূরের কথা এমন অর্থ প্রকাশ করতে Let alone  বসে সাধারণত Negative  meaning প্রকাশ করতে Let alone  বসে Examples: He cannot walk let alone run.  He cannot pass in the third division let alone first division. They have no rice to eat let alone hearing radio.
Rule - 11. Though/ although/ even though (যদিও):
Though/ although/ even though দ্বারা দুটি বিপরীতধর্মী অর্থ বোঝায় এমন দুটি clause কে  দিয়ে একটি Sentence গঠন করতে ব্যাবহার হয় Examples: Though he is rich, he is unhappy. Although it is late, it will finish soon.  Though he is poor, he is honest.
Rule - 12. Since / As – কারন:
যেহেতু বা কারন অর্থে  Since / As এর ব্যবহার করা হয় Examples: As he was tired , he left the place.  As it was raining, I could not go to college. Since  they played well,  they won the match. Since the weather was cold, Fahima could not go out.
Rule - 13. Because -কারন:
কারন প্রকাশক clause এর আগে  Because বসে সেটা  আগের ঘটনার বিবরণ হয় Examples: We gave her punishment because she misbehaved. He did not attend the party because he was ill.
Rule - 14. While এর প্রয়োগ:
While সাধারণতঃ প্রবাদ বাক্যে ব্যাবহার হয় তাছাড়া দুটি কাজ এক সঙ্গে হলে তাদের যেটি চলমান তার আগে While বসে  Examples: Strike the iron while it is hot. I entered into your room while you were reading.
Rule - 15. As if / as though = যেনঃ
Sentence এর প্রথম অংশে Present indefinite থাকলে  পরের অংশে Past tense  হয় প্রথম অংশে Past indefinite  থাকলে পরের অংশে Past perfect tense  হয়
Examples: He pretends as if he knew everything. She speaks as though she were a doctor.  My sister talked as though she had known everything.
Rule - 16.  Had better – তবুও/ বরং ভালঃ
Had better যুক্ত sentence unreal past tense use হয় ইহা  Present/ future এর অর্থ প্রকাশ করে Examples: They had better start right  now.
Rule - 17. Unless (If ---not): যদি না অর্থে Unless দ্বারা যে clause শুরু হয় সে clause   not বসে না এটাতে অনেটা Conditional sentence এর দ্বিতীয় অংশের মত future format বসে
Examples: Unless you work hard, you will not shine in life. Unless you read well, you will not pass in the examination.  Unless you study hard, you will fail in the examination.
Rule - 18.  Till/ until: যে পর্যন্ত না
Till/ until + সময় নির্দেশক ঘটনা , দুটি Clause এর একই Tense হয় Till এর ক্ষেত্রে Negative word বসাতে হয় Examples: Wait here until I return. Wait here till I do not complete my task.
Rule - 19. Would rather / sooner--- than - বরং/ তবুওঃ
Would rather / sooner যুক্ত sentence than বসে
Structure: Sub + would rather +  verb  present form + --- + than + verb / noun. 
Examples: I would rather die than beg.
Rule - 20. As long as – ততক্ষণ / যতক্ষণ পর্যন্ত
As long as যুক্ত incomplete অংশে একটি clause বসাতে হয় Examples: You can keep the pen as long as you need. Wait here as long as it rains.
Rule - 21. Provided/ Provided that/ Providing that- যদি/ তবে শরত যে/ তবে শর্ত  থাকে যেঃ এখানে অর্থের সঙ্গে সঙ্গতি রেখে  sentence টি পূর্ণ করতে হবে Examples: He can lend you the money provided that you return the  money in time.  I can go there provided that   the weather is good.
Rule - 22.Would that/ I wish/ I fancy + unreal past – দ্বারা যদি  অসম্ভব  ইচ্ছা , আকাঙ্ক্ষা, কল্পনা প্রভৃতি বোঝায় তবে পরবর্তী  Clause টি Past indefinite Tense  হয়
Examples: I wish I were a king. 
Would that I were a child again.
I fancy I turned a child.
Rule - 23. As soon as - যেই মাত্র/ মাত্রই / সাথে সাথে
কোন  Sentence যদি  ‘As soon as’  যুক্ত Clause  থাকে  এবং Sentence  টিতে অতীতের অর্থ প্রকাশিত হয় তবে উক্ত Sentence -এর  উভয় clause -এর  Past Indefinite Tense হয়
Examples: As soon as the rain stopped , we started to play.
As soon as I reached the station, it started to rain.
Rule - 24. Present perfect in sub-ordinate clause:
প্রদত্ত Principal clause টি Present/ future  indefinite tense থাকলে তার শেষে  when/ after  থাকলে  তার পরের  Subordinate Clause টি  Present Perfect Tense হয় Examples: You can go to bed when you have finished  reading it. You will return me the book after you have finished reading it.
Rule - 25. In spite of / Despite of : সত্ত্বেও অর্থে  বসে প্রথম অংশে যে  অর্থ প্রকাশ করে দ্বিতীয় অংশে বিপরীত অর্থ প্রকাশ করে Examples: In spite of his riches, he is a miser.  Despite of his poverty, he is happy.
Rule - 26. In case: In case এর অর্থ যদি:
In case যুক্ত subordinate clause টি principal clause এর কাজের কারন নির্দেশ করে তাই In case যুক্ত incomplete sentence কে complete করার সময় In case এর  পর  Principal Clause এর কারনের সাথে সম্পর্ক যুক্ত  একটি subordinate Clause গঠন  করতে হয় সাধারণতঃ  In case যুক্ত Subordinate Clause টি Present Tense এর হয় Examples: In case you fail in the examination, you  will be  deprived  of  many facilities. I will come tomorrow in  case  Kamol wants me.
Rule - 27. Conditional Sentence: If + Conditional Sentence:শর্ত যুক্ত বাক্যঃ
ইংরেজি ভাষায়  তিনটি শর্ত যুক্ত বাক্য রয়েছে নীচে সেগুলো উল্লেখ করা হলঃ
1)  If  +   Present  Indefinite +  Future Indefinite. এটি প্রথম শর্ত যুক্ত বাক্য Examples: If you study more, you will gain much knowledge. If her uncle arrives, I’ll meet him.  If you are honest, you will never tell a lie.  Be truthful if you want to get respect of others.  Eat balanced diet if you want to keep your body fit.
2) If + Past Indefinite + Future Indefinite (in past tense).দ্বিতীয় শর্ত যুক্ত বাক্য
Examples:
 If I knew his phone number, I would tell him everything.
If I went there, I would see my mother.
 If you invited me, I would accept it.
If I were rich, I would help you.
If I were a king, I would build a hospital.
If I had enough money, I would help the poor.
3) If + Past Perfect  +  Future Perfect ( in past tense): ৩য় শর্ত যুক্ত বাক্য
Examples: If I had got work in foreign country, I would have gone there.  If I had seen you, I would have talked to you. If I had been the president, I would have taken steps to remove corruption.
বাতিক্রমঃ 
Had I seen him, I would have told him. Had I recognized her, I would have talked to her.
শেখার জন্য এসো, জানার জন্য জিজ্ঞাসা কর
Prepared by: Md. Moheb Ullah. English Teacher Cell No :8801554482041


Exercises:
1.       If  you do not eat , you will be hungry.
2.       If  he applied for the job, he could get the job.
3.       If we told them the truth, he would get the chance.
4.       If you waste your time, you will repent for it.
5.       If you take exercise, you will keep fit.
6.       If you do not study regularly, you will fail in the examination.
7.       Unless he helped me, I could not reach there.
8.       If you  put off your work  for tomorrow, it will remain unfinished.
9.       If I got  a chance , I would visit  Sylhet.
10.   If  you maintain school discipline, you will succeed in life.
11.   If you don’t help me, I will not help you.
If you do not dig holes in the road,

Comments

Unknown said…
He was reading with a view to......

Popular posts from this blog

Capitalization and Punctuations