Conjunctions



Conjunctions
Definition: A conjunction is a part of speech that connects two or more words, phrases, clauses or sentences. Conjunctions are generally two types:1. Cumulative or copulative
And: Seema and Rima are two sisters.
Rice and curry is our staple food.
We saw him playing and shouting with the boys.
 Both—and: Both Mina and Rina passed the examination.
Both Lubna and Seema got scholarship.
Both Hanif and Matin give up their education at tender age.
 No less--- than: You are no less fit for the job than he.
Salma is no less fit for the first than Mina.

As well as: The president as well as the secretary has come.

Not only ---but also: He is not only a thief but also a culprit.
Mr. Rahman is not only a teacher but also a philosopher.
1.2 Alternative or Disjunctive:
Either --- or: Either Ruby or Baby did this work.
Either Sumi or Juthi said the fact.
Neither --- nor: Neither Mini nor Tinni passed in the exam.

Or: Study hard or you will fail in the exam.
 Otherwise: Pray to God otherwise you will fail to have heaven.
1.3 Adversative:


But: He is poor but honest.
 Yet: He is rich yet he is unhappy.
Still: He is rich still he unhappy.
 However: He behaves rudely with me however I love him.
 Only: Use the machine only take care that you don’t break it.
Nevertheless: He did not study hard nevertheless he passed the exam.

On the contrary: He is an honest man on the contrary his son is a thief. I did not want to do any
harm to you on the contrary I wanted to help you.
 While : While he was sleeping I entered in his room.
 Whereas: He is an honest whereas his son is dishonest.
1.4 Illative:

Therefore: He has starved for three days therefore he has become weak.
Consequently: They are living here for many days consequently they know all of the matter of that place.
For: It has been raining for three days. For him I can do everything. For her he can sacrifice his life.
As a result: We worked hard as a result we passed in the examination.


2. Subordinating: 

2.1 Time:

Till: Wait till I return.
 Until: Wait here until I come back.
 Before: The patient had died before the doctor came. He has reached there before the rain.
 When: I will be present when you call me.
 While: Don’t play while you are reading.
 Since: I have not seen him since he was four.
 2.2 Cause or reason:
 As: As I was ill I could not attend the class.
 Because:I could not attend the meeting because I was ill.
 Since: Since I was ill I could not attend the meeting.
 2.3 Purpose:
 That: We eat that we may live.
 So that: We eat so that we may live.
 In order that: We read in order that we may be wise.
 Lest: Walk fast lest you should miss the train.
 2.4. Condition:
If: If you come, I shall go. If you did it, you would shine. If I had done the work, I would have rewarded.
 Unless: He will not respect you unless you respect him.
 Whether or not: It does not matter whether you there or not.
 Provided: You can enter the room provided you are a student. We shall give you the job provided he is an MA.
 2.5. Effect:
 So -- that: He studied so hard that he passed in the first division. He is so weak that he cannot walk.
 2.6 Comparison:
 Than: This circle is bigger than that. That circle is smaller than this.
 As -- as: Mina is as intelligent as Rina. Panna
 So --- as: Panna is not so tall as Hira.
 2.7 . Manner:
 As --- so: As you sow so you reap. As you will work so you get.
 According as: He will get according as he wants.
 2.8. Concession or contrast:
 Though: Though he is weak, he can walk fast.
 As: Rich is as he is.
 However: However rich he is he is, he is unhappy.
 2.9. Introductory sense
 I know him. That he is a good man is known to me.
 2.10. Apposition
 The Rumor that his son becomes a thief is false.
3. Correlative Conjunction:

As---as: He ate as much as he could. He is as strong as lion.
So ---as: He is not so strong as a lion.
 The same ---as: This is the same book as that.
 Both ---and: Both Rahim and Karim had done this.
 Either---or: Either Karim or Rahim had done this.
 Neither ---- nor: Neither Karim Nor Rahim had done this.
 No sooner --- than: No sooner had we reached the station than the train started.
 The same -----that: This is the same book that I want.
 Such ---as: He is not such a good man as we thought.
 Such --- that: Such was the danger that none of us could escape.
 Whether --- or no: I do not care whether you help me or not.
 Though ---- yet: Though he is rich yet he is unhappy.
 Scarcely --- when: Scarcely had we reached the station when the train started.
Hardly --- when: Hardly had we reached the station when the train started.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A cook and his master

Completing Sentences, Rules and Structures

Capitalization and Punctuations