Phrases and Clauses

 Phrases:
Def:  A Phrase is a group of words that does not  make  a complete  sense nor  does it  contain  a  finite  verb or  a subject . It is however used as a single   part of speech.
Phrases are of seven kinds. They are:
1. Noun Phrase, 2. Adjective phrase, 3. Verbal Phrase, 4. Adverbial Phrase, 5.  Prepositional phrase, 6. Conjunctional phrase and 7. Interjectional PhraseNoun Phrase: A noun Phrase is one that does the work of a noun. It may be used as a subject or an object in a sentence.
Examples: To walk early in the morning is his habit. Bashir does not like to take a risk. I like to play football. The world is not a bed of roses. My father was a man of word.

Adjective Phrase:  An adjective phrase is so called because it does the work of an adjective. It qualifies a noun life an adjectives.
Examples: She give me a ring of gold. Mr. Choudhury is a man of character. My father is all in all in the family. Zeeman is quite at home in Mathematics. At present I am hard up.Verbal Phrase: A verbal Phrase is one that does the work of an adverb.
Example: Those who live fast die early. She looks after the orphan. The thief broke open the safe. Cut short your speech. Smoking tells upon one’s health.
Adverbial Phrase: An adverbial Phrase is one that does the work of an adverb.
Examples: Take this saline every six hours. Khaled ran at great speed. The boy was beaten black and blue. Sahana tried the sum again and again. Rehan worked all day long.
Prepositional Phrase:  A prepositional phrase is one that does the work of a preposition. It governs a noun or a noun equivalent in the objective case like a preposition.
Examples: She could not come because of illness. Rashed tried for the sake of his friend. Mina succeeds by dint of industry. Salma was teaching instead of reading. There is a field in front of our school. We discuss the matter at large.
Conjunctional Phrase: A conjunctional Phrase is one that   does the work like conjunction.  Examples: Seema read hard in order that she may pass creditably. Sebab as well his brother Rafiqul was guilty. I shall go provided that you send the car. No sooner had the bus arrived at the bus stand than the passenger got down. Not only she but also her brother requested me.
Interjectional Phrase: An Interjectional phrase is one that does the work like an interjection. Examples: What a pity! You have failed. Good Heavens! What do I do now? What a sight is this! Fie! Don’t mention it. Oh God what do I do now?
Clauses
Def: Clause is part of a large sentence which has subject, finite verb and predicate.
Feroza has chain which is made of gold.
Kinds of Clause:
Clauses are considered as three classes:
1. Principal clause, 
2. Sub-ordinate clause and
3. Co - ordinate clause.
Principal Clause: The clause that is self depended or independent to mean is known as principal clause.
Feroza has a chain which is made of gold.
Hence ‘Feroza has a chain.’ Is principal clause. It does not depend on others.

Sub-ordinate Clause:  The clause that depends on other clause to express its meaning is known as sub-ordinate clause. 
Feroza has a chain which is made of gold.
Follow that ‘ which is made of gold.’ Is sub-ordinate clause. Here the question arise , what is which?  As a result it indicate its dependence.
Co-ordinate Clause: The clause that is made of two principal clauses with a conjunction (like: and, but, yet, because, otherwise, or either… or, neither….nor, etc.) is known as co-ordinate clause:  The man is rich but dishonest.
NB: But I think it is of two kinds. They are 1. Principal Clause and 2. Sub-ordinate clause.
Sub-ordinate clauses are of Three kinds:
1.  The Noun Clause 2. The adjective clause 3. The Adverb clause.
1. Noun Clause:  The clause that acts like a noun in the sentence is known as noun clause.
I know that she is poor. Hence the red marked word is using as noun clause.
Use of Noun Clause:
1. The object of verb:
 I know that she has passed. He said that he was poor. I know when he will come back. You should tell me why you did this.
NB: Noun clause mostly uses as the object of a verb.
2. Subject of a finite verb
That he will get a job is certain. Where he lives is known to me. That he said so was proved.  Whether he did this is doubtful.
3. Object of a preposition:
There is no sense in what you say. It depends on how it is done. There was nothing new except that the day was cloudy.
4. Complement of verb of incomplete prediction:
The fact is that I am tired. This is where  he lives. The question is where he goes there. It appears that you do not understand me.
5. Apposition of a noun:
The fact that he was plain to all. I never doubted the fact that you spoke the truth. The news that he wants to come is not true.
NB: Follow that noun clause begins with conjunction (that) , interrogative  pronoun or adverb (what , where, who, why,  how , whether, when , if.)
6. Sentence becomes meaningful replacing noun phrase instead of noun clause.
He does not know when you will start. He does not know the time of your starting. I heard that he was ill. I heard about his illness.
2. Adjective Clause: The clause that acts like an adjective is known as adjective clause.
I know the man who helped the poor. Hence the red marked words (who helped the poor) indicate adjective clause.
Here we notice that adjective clause begins with adverb or pronoun. But sometimes it varies. 
The book (which) he bought has been lost. Hence the word (which) is invisible. It means sometimes adverb or pronoun does not use.
More Examples
Uneasy lies the head that wears a crown. I know the place where he lived.  Fairly morning is the time when we get up. There is no reason why he refused to play. I know the man who did it. I understand the reason why he said so. Tell me the time when he will come. Please explain the way how you did it.
3. The Adverb Clause
 Def: The adverb clause is that clause which acts like adverb.
According to the use the adverb clauses are 9 types.
1. Adverb clause of time: These are introduce with While, when, whenever, after, before, until, till,  since etc. As: He came when I was there.  Strike while the iron is hot.  Wait until I come back.
2. Adverb clause of Place: These begin with where, wherever etc. As: Stay where you are. You can go wherever you like.
3. Adverb clause of Cause: These begin with Because, as, since, that etc. As: He can not  come because he is ill. As he is ill, he can not come. Since you are ill you need not come. I am glad that you have passed. I am sorry that you said so.
4. Adverb clause of Effect::  These begin with Tat so--- that, such --- that etc. As: I am so weak that I cannot walk.  He is such  a fool that you cannot depend on him.
5.Adverb clause of Purpose: These begin with in order that, so that, lest etc. As: We read that we may learn. He reads in order that he may pass. Write it down lest you should forget it.
 Bring it near so that I may see it better.
6. Adverb clause of condition: These begin with if , unless, whether, in case, on condition, that, provided that that, supposing that etc.
 As: I shall do this if you help me. You will fail unless you read hard. I shall try whether I succeed or not. I shall help on condition that you help me. I shall help you in case you are hard up.

7. Adverb clause of Comparison: These begin with so --- as, such ----- as, as---as,  than etc.
 As: He  is not  so tall as his  rather  is tall. He  is as  wise as  you are.
8. Adverb clause of  Supposition or Concession: These begin with though,  although, even if, even etc. As: Though he is poor he is honest.  Even if  I fail , I shall not give up hope.
9. Adverb clause of  manner: These begin with as.  
 As: You may  do it, as you please. Do to  others  as  you  would  be  done by.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Completing Sentences, Rules and Structures

Capitalization and Punctuations